Hello everyone! Today I’m talking a bit about my skin care routine which is a slightly touchy subject for me. I’ve struggled with bad skin my whole life (acne, black heads, etc) and I literally tried everything with no success. I’ve always had super sensitive, combination skin and even things like birth control and proactive didn’t work for me. It always put a damper on my self esteem growing up, especially when people made fun of me or just suggested that I simply wash my face more (as if I were dirty or something). The fact is, my acne was hormonal so no matter what I put on my face, it would not/did not help.
As soon as I got engaged, however, I decided that I deserved clear skin on my wedding day so I started Accutane the very next week. I was afraid to take it at first because of all the scary side effects but my doctor assured me that the only real threat was taking it while pregnant (which I don’t need to worry about right now!) I worried about getting super peel-y skin but I started a very structured skin car regimen and as a result I never had any issues. I’ve been off of Accutane for about 2 months now and my skin is still clear (although I do have a few remaining dark spots/acne scars). I’ve still continued my daily regimen and it’s made a huge difference in the look and feel of my skin. Below I’ve listed the products I use every day which are safe to use on hyper-sensitive skin!
In the A.M.
1. Every morning and night I wash my face with Simple Moisturizing Facial Wash which can be found at Target for only $6.99. I like it because it doesn’t have any additives and it easily removes all of my makeup. I also use a wash cloth to exfoliate which helps remove any dead skin. I don’t own a Clarisonic brush because in my opinion a simple wash cloth does the trick.
2. Next I use First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads. I love these little toning pads because they are 100% natural and give my skin a soft glow. The container holds 60 “rondelles” but I cut them in half to make them last longer.
3. Lastly, I put on a layer of First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Face Moisturizer on my face and neck. This one helps calm any redness you may have and is super great for sensitive skin because it doesn’t have any perfumes, dyes, parabens or a bunch of the other bad stuff.
**side note: I don’t wear makeup to work during the week because 1) I don’t want to attract any attention from the people in my office, and 2) I think it’s important to let your skin breath every once in a while.
In the P.M.
1. I start with washing my face using the same cleanser as above.
2. Next I apply a thin layer of First Aid Beauty Dual Repair Power Serum which combats wrinkles improves skin tone. I only recently started using this product but so far I love it. My skin feels super smooth when I apply it and it hasn’t made me break out so that’s a good sign!
3. If my skin if feeling dry, I’ll let the serum sink in for awhile and then apply a thin layer of moisturizer just before bed.
I know I listed a bunch of First Aid Beauty products but it’s because I honestly love them. They are known for being great for sensitive skin and while they are a bit pricey, they are totally worth it. The fact that I can walk around without makeup on and not feel self conscious is a miracle.
I’ve even posted a “before and after” pic of my skin so you could see the difference. It was hard to find a photo of me from years ago without tons of makeup on so this is the best I could do. The photo on the left was from 2010 and the one on the right is a completely untouched, makeup free selfie after washing my face last night.
Do you have any sensitive skin care secrets that you’d like to share? Comment below!